Your guide to confirmation 2021-2022!
Confirmation classes take place on Wednesday nights from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. on the Lower Level of Bethel Lutheran Church in the Youth Room.
Days we do not have confirmation: November 24, December 22, December 29, January 5 (updated through January 2022).
On Wednesday nights, you can expect:
- Worship around the candle-lit fire pit
- A game
- Confirmation lesson time
To know yourself more deeply and come to abide with the Divine deep within you.
When we are free to be our authentic selves, without expectation and without judgement, we see more clearly how God is working within us. We come to know who God made us to be, and our vision and perception in every area of our lives becomes clearer and rooted in God’s vision of worthiness, belonging, and freedom for us and the world.
What does it take to be confirmed?
- Find words to describe your experience, questions, or relationship with God (HOWEVER that may look).
- Develop a sense of ownership in the life of the church (do you know you belong here?)
- Become comfortable with doubt, challenging questions, and the mysterious nature of God. (We don’t have all the answers about the mystery of God, but it’s always worth asking questions, no matter how hard they may be, and even if we don’t come to a definitive answer.
Your Mission, should you choose to accept it:
Each of these goals will lead you to earn a Mission Patch! See more about Mission Patches on our Home Page.
- Participate in the life of the church. Take the acolyte training, and sign-up to acolyte once every 3 months.
- Tune in. Attend church services with your family. Complete Pastor Mike’s sermon outlines.
- Engage with our community. From September-May, attend Wednesday night Confirmation classes 3 of the 4 weeks per month.
- Pray and meditate. Learn how to pray and meditate. Discover a spiritual practice that is unique to you.
- Serve. Find a service project to get involved in that you feel passionate about (at church, in your community, or start your own!).
- Express yourself. Learn guitar through our group guitar lessons, play your instrument in a worship service, or really dig into an art project we work on in confirmation. Make something to express on the outside what is going on inside your Spirit.
- Lead. Help lead Bethel Jr. (held on the first Sunday of each month) 4 times per year! (be part of a skit, help lead a song, be a communion server, help run the sound board—the opportunities are endless!)
- Mentor. Become a mentor to a 5th/6th grader. This will include taking the mentor training, attending special mentorship events, writing letters back and forth with your mentee (dates TBD).
- Connect with people of different faiths. Attend an inter-faith youth event with Muslim and Jewish youth (date TBD).
- Retreat. Go on the confirmation retreat to Bethel Horizons! This year we have a Winter Retreat Friday December 17th-Sunday December 19th.